Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, November 16, 2007

My Job

I get a lot of questions about what I do, so I decided to do a little blog about my job. I graduated from nursing school in 2002, shortly thereafter I passed my state boards and I am a Registered nurse. I worked on medical floors in two different hospitals for three years and wanted to learn something new. I was introduced to dialysis by one of the nurses(doing what I do now) at the hospital I worked at. When a patient's kidneys fail, it is often not forseen and the patient will end up in the hospital. While in the hospital Davita, the company I work for, provides bedside dialysis as long as the patient remains there. When the patient is doing better and released from the hospital, they will go to their outpatient dialysis clinic. I only do hospital (acute) dialysis. I provide in hospital dialysis for anyone from medical patients to ICU(my favorite) patients and although I havn't done it myself yet we occasionally do treatments for patients in Labor and delivery, post partum and the OR. I love my job! I love all the awsome things I get to see and be a part of. This is the machine I work with. I love all the buttons and gadgets-technology is pretty cool!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



I work four days a week. Two to three days are "regular days", in which I will run two patients making it a 9-10 hour day. One to two days a week I am on call for 24 hours for emergencies. I can work a full 24 hour day sometimes if it is busy, just yesterday was a 17 hour day for me. It can be very tiring but also extremley rewarding. So thats what I do.

No comments: