Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Let Them Eat Cake....

Me and Leslie that is. I have a dear friend Leslie who is moving to Washington :( I was supposed to go and help her get ready for her upcoming garage sale, but instead we made a fabulous Texas sheet cake. There are many variations of this cake, and I can't seem to find my Mom's recipe, but they are all very close, give this one a try. I also highly recommend this one to my friend Donna because of her love of chocolate.
Lovley Leslie
Stealing A Taste :)
Our Chocolaty Confection

Posing With The Texas Sheet Cake



INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Chocolate Frosting:
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
3 tablespoons buttermilk
2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

PREPARATION:
Cake: Grease a 15X10X1-inch sheet pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup butter, 1/3 cup cocoa, and 1 cup of water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. With an electric hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate mixture into the dry mixture until thoroughly blended. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in a 350° oven about 20 minutes. Pour warm chocolate frosting over the warm cake, spreading evenly. Place cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly before cutting. Makes 24 servings.

Frosting: In a medium saucepan combine 1/4 cup butter or margarine, 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, and 3 tablespoons buttermilk. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; add 2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth.


2 comments:

MamaDonna said...

Ah...how well you know me. Better yet, I think someone else (wink wink, nudge nudge...) should make this cake for me then I can eat it!

whitneyingram said...

I think I will give this a try. Looks great!